Design Engineer - Core Team (Remote)
Slight is looking for a design engineer to join us in building a product focussed on all areas of interaction between data teams and domain experts. See our about page for more on our mission and product vision.
What is a design engineer?
Great question! A successful design engineer could be someone with an interaction design background and growing interest in software engineering or a software engineer who is passionate about software ergonomics. They fall somewhere between a designer who codes and an engineer who designs and like it that way!
At this early stage, you will also join the Slight Core Team. The Core Team will be comprised of individuals who collectively have deep technical expertise, proven leadership skills (or potential), and a track record and shared enthusiasm for building new technologies from the ground up.
We’re a remote-first company with a high focus on autonomy, work-life balance, and flexibility. We are open to all applicants within six hours in either direction of Eastern Time . For more information about working with us, see our values and benefits pages. We strongly encourage applications from people whose backgrounds are considered non-traditional in tech.
As an Design Engineer and Core Team member you will:
- Have a seat at the table as we work closely with early customers to conduct UX research, develop initial product features, and determine our overall product trajectory
- Drive the design and development of our core web application and UI
- Leverage your engineering and design toolkits to build performant and intuitive data-native interactions across all Slight user interfaces, e.g., web application, Slack, etc.
- As one of our first hires, you will make design a first-class citizen in our engineering culture through teaching, communication and practice
You would be a great fit for this role if you:
- Have previous experience designing data-driven interfaces and web applications.
- Are motivated to bring wireframes and prototypes of interfaces and interactions to life by contributing to production code
- Feel at home building production quality features in languages such as Typescript and interface libraries like React
- Enjoy thinking about how backend performance and architecture influences design and vice versa and you are motivated by finding creative design solutions when performance is a constraint.
- Love learning new technologies and concepts, even when it feels daunting
Added bonus if you:
- Are data curious ;). Whether you're a secret SQL lover, d3.js enthusiast, or R weekend warrior, we love all things data!
As a start-up, the work is always evolving so don't be discouraged to apply if you have some but not all the listed great to haves!