Why Slight? And what's with the site?
How We Got Here
We (Colman and Raiden) met as statistics PhD students studying causal inference back in 2014. For the last couple years we've both worked across the broad landscape of data science, Raiden as a data scientist building forecasting tools for the teams planning Google's technical infrastructure deployment and Colman first a data scientist then turned partial software engineer at Via with a lot of direct interaction across all of Via's non-technical teams.
Over about a year of weekly dinner conversations we found that the challenges we felt as data practitioners — giving and getting data, running data scripts, dealing with requests, interacting effectively with non-technical users — were pretty much universal across our companies and industries. On a mission to improve the interactions between data teams and domain experts over the entire lifecycle of data work, Colman left and started working on Slight in late 2020 and Raiden joined a few months later.
The Site... There's a Lot Going On
True enough. Here's a synopsis:
- Our about page discusses our mission broadly, and with details about what jobs we aim to solve, and how we plan to solve them.
- Our values page is an in-depth discussion about the values that are core to Slight, that guide us every day. We feel very lucky that we have the chance to think deeply about the values that are important to us and, even more, to put them into practice as we build Slight.
- Our benefits page ties in with our values: it's more specific to working here, but many parts are a direct result of our values.
- The team page has more details about us, but is mostly the first part of this post.
- We'll soon launch our closed alpha.
- You already know about the blog.
On the home page (click the Slight logo at the top or bottom of the page) and at the bottom of each page, you can subscribe to hear updates from us. We won't spam you!
Working at Slight
One of most exciting parts of starting this company for us is the chance to build and learn from a diverse team of talented folks. If this sounds good to you, we're hiring!